Saturday, December 17, 2011

Savings...

My name is Abirami Mohanraj. I am a manager in a reputed IT company. I am married to Rajasekhar Vuppaladhadiam and have a kid of age 4 years. We both earn quite well and have a happy living. Life definitely presents its own challenges every now and then and thankfully we are also bestowed with the necessary tools to overcome them.

I was brought-up in a middleclass family. My dad with four kids and an ailing wife fought all along to position us where we are right now with extra-ordinary grit. I know what is poverty, I know what is pain, I know what is embarassment! But I am also proud of my childhood, for I am what I am now, because of it.

And today, I suddenly feel like a new brahmin! Nay.. it is certainly not what you think. I don't intend to create a racial clash here. Brahminism is considered superior in our caste system. Likewise, in this society, where everything is valued by money, I became a new brahmin in terms of materialistic richness.

From ashes to honor, should I say? Well, whatever, the urge in me to help, share and give has always been quite high. A number of times, I have surprised my husband with some instant decision to offer/donate/give something to someone :) and so far he has never said 'no'...
Conversations like these happen in our home - My husband asks 'who is he?' and I reply 'Oh, he... I asked him to come home to collect the donation cheque from us. So how much, 5, 10, one-time, monthly, yearly, ECS?' (actually I made up my mind already on how to donate, what to donate!) In all these, he participates whole-heartedly, that's the best part in him :) and why not when we both share similar life styles throughout...

But for these acts, my life would have been so bitter and ugly I would say... Finally I identified sweetness and fragrance in my life... These small drops of sweetness that I enjoy, I wouldn't let go of, come what may. This joy is not simply because of giving money. It is because of the human values I get back from it.

The smile in those kids' faces when they receive their new school kit, the smile in those oldage home in-mates for having a sumptuous meal that we sponsored as a group, the satisfaction in that parent's face when she sees her daughter go to matriculation school, giving all of them a ray of hope to survive - This light and fragrance, that I breath is so overwhelming...

When I die one day, there would be tears down our sponsored children's faces and many others - these tear drops are the savings for my kid! :) One of my well wishers told me 'remember, you have a daughter'... Yes, I got to save for my daughter and here it is - 'Grace'

Before I wrap up this article, one last bit - Let me also say, I am not gullible. Like I brought in another visitor for my husband - 'who is he now?', 'oh he... Bank person - Demat account. Stock market is not doing good now, good time to invest!'

Life is a balance, full of debits and credits! :)

3 comments:

Purna Koumudi Vogeti said...

Kudos!!! A very touching article and can so much relate to each and every bit of it except for the fact that I have not experienced what poverty is , myself :-). Even I have a one and half month old daughter and I take inspiration from this article on what to save for her :-D

Regards,
Purna ( In order for you not to get confused on who this stranger is , I am one of Raj's ex-project-mate )

Abi said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your little one! Yeah... I do remember you...
Glad that you were inspired :)

Let's spread love and joy around us!

Rahul Marwaha said...

Really Heart Touching .... after reading this article , i am really forced to think ....



Regards
Rahul Marwaha (Agian - One more Raj's project Mate)